Some of the greatest superheroes of all time have celebrated anniversaries in recent years; Superman, Batman, Robin, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, and most recently, Wonder Woman. The question is, though… why should the heroes have all the fun? DC has answered that question by announcing the Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant, a 100-page special coming to comic shops on November 30.
Here’s the full press release:
DC First Look – “Bird Cat Love,” From the
Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant #1!
A 100-Page Celebration of the Worst Villains to Ever Bedevil
Batman and His Allies Presented by Some of the
Most Talented Names in Comics
An Incredible Selection of Variant Covers
Available for Pre-Order at
Participating Comic Book Shops
Gotham City may be protected by the Dark Knight, but the home of Batman and his allies are also plagued by some of the deadliest, most nefarious villains in the DC Universe! In this oversize anniversary giant, DC proudly presents tales of Batman’s deadliest foes written and drawn by some of the biggest, most exciting names in comics!
Celebrated Villains, Celebrated Storytellers!
This anthology marks the anniversary year of Oswald Cobblepot, a.k.a. The Penguin and is celebrated with a special Penguin/Catwoman story by acclaimed actor, screenwriter, and producer Danny DeVito, who immortalized the character in the 1992 hit movie Batman Returns.
DeVito teams up with fan-favorite artist Dan Mora (Detective Comics) on a fun heist story/romance between The Penguin and his “crush” from Batman Returns, Catwoman.
The book also celebrates the anniversaries of other Bat-baddies, with stories spotlighting:
- The Scarecrow (story and art by Wes Craig)
- Poison Ivy (written by G. Willow Wilson, art by Emma Rios)
- Ra’s al Ghul (written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson, art by Riccardo Federici)
- Talia al Ghul (written by Nadia Shammas & Joshua Williamson, art by Max Raynor)
- The original Red Hood (written by Stephanie Phillips, art by Max Fiumara)
- The Mad Hatter (written by Dan Watters, art by Skylar Patridge)
- Killer Moth (written by Mairghread Scott, art by Ariela Kristantina)
Highly Collectible Variant Covers!
Not only does this must-have anthology celebrate popular Bat-villains, but fans can visit their local comic book shops to pre-order the Gotham City Villains Anniversary #1 and choose one or more of the most breathtaking variant covers ever seen!
- Main cover by Lee Bermejo
- The Penguin variant cover by Frank Quitely
- The Scarecrow variant cover by Wes Craig and Jason Wordie
- Poison Ivy variant cover by Marguerite Sauvage
- Talia and Ra’s al Ghul variant cover by Riccardo Federici
- Killer Moth, Red Hood, and Mad Hatter variant cover by Dan Mora
- Batman/Villains 1:25 ratio variant cover by Francesco Mattina
- Batman/Penguin 1:50 ratio variant cover by Chris Burnham and Nathan Fairbairn
The Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant #1 arrives in comic book stores and participating digital retailers Tuesday, November 30, 2021.
For more information on Gotham City’s worst villains, you can check out the website at www.dccomics.com. The DC UNIVERSE INFINITE digital subscription service includes great stories from DC’s history; for more information and a free trial, visit the DC UNIVERSE INFINITE website at www.dcuniverseinfinite.com.
Images and Press Release Courtesy of DC Entertainment and BHimpact!