Wow, now this is exciting! DC Collectibles are launching a brand new line of action figures under the ¡Lucha Explosiva! banner. As a huge wrestling fan, mixing DC characters with masked wrestlers is a combination that’s right up my street. Talk about a perfect tag-team!
In a press release sent out today, DC also unveiled whole bunch of awesome statues, and figures to suit all tastes.
- DC ¡LUCHA EXPLOSIVA! is a thrilling and imaginative new universe that blends the action-packed world of Lucha Libre with iconic DC characters. Each 7″ action figure is a Latin American-inspired re-imagining of a popular DC Super Hero or Super-Villain, complete with a unique character backstory rooted in Mexico’s rich cultural history. Fans can create epic storylines while battling with the first wave of figures inspired by Batman, Deathstroke, Superman, Metallo II, Wonder Woman and the Cheetah beginning in August 2019.
- DC PRIME is a new premium-grade 9″ action figure line brought to life by popular artist Riccardo Federici and celebrated sculptor Wonil Song. Each highly detailed figure features unmatched poseability and numerous custom accessories. Batman is the first character to debut in October 2019 and includes multiple pairs of hands, a wired fabric cape and three unique heads.
- DC ENGINES OF CHAOS is a new statue line based on designs by renowned DC artist Riley Rossmo (BATMAN, MARTIAN MANHUNTER). Each statue is a high-RPM transformation of a beloved DC character uniquely adapted for a gritty, dystopian world. Some figures are adapted to battle, others to survival. This new line will race into stores in November 2019 with its first statue featuring the Dark Knight riding atop a custom bike, complete with armored wheels, a Bat-shaped grille and a Joker-bot.
“DC Collectibles is always striving to bring fans imaginative new ways to extend and celebrate DC’s most iconic characters,” said Jim Fletcher, executive creative director of DC Collectibles. “DC ¡LUCHA EXPLOSIVA! is a passion project for us. We’re all huge fans of Lucha Libre, and merging Mexican Luchadores with superheroes seemed like a perfect fit. Besides obvious similarities like masks, capes and secret identities, we also think there is a huge crossover between fan bases. With DC ¡LUCHA EXPLOSIVA!, DC PRIME, DC ENGINES OF CHAOS and other new items debuting this year, DC Collectibles has something special for everyone—for both longtime collectors and new fans alike.”
Additional collectibles debuting in 2019 include a life-size Wonder Woman shield prop measuring 22″ in diameter and crafted from fiberglass and polyresin, and new statues starring Batman, Harley Quinn, Red Hood and the Huntress, among others, designed by acclaimed comic book artists Greg Capullo, Greg Horn, Frank Miller, Joëlle Jones and more.
For the complete list of DC Collectibles items revealed ahead of New York Toy Fair, see below:
- BATMAN STATUE
- POISON IVY STATUE
- THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS BY GREG CAPULLO 2ND EDITION
- BATMAN BY JOE MADUREIRA
- MINI 7-PIECE BOX SET 4
- METAL HARLEY QUINN BY GREG HORN STATUE
- BATMAN BY FRANK MILLER STATUE
How insanely cool is this? Fans can now make Batman bodyslam Deathstroke, have Superman suplex Metallo, and make Wonder Woman chokeslam Cheetah. The possibilities are endless.
Are you excited fans? I know my wallet’s tapping out from the excitement!