HBO Max is set to air a three-part documentary series on the history behind, and the cultural influence of the legend of DC Comics, in a three-part documentary series.
A story to be told
The stories behind the storytelling will soon be explored by some of the best in the business, as the partnership between DC and HBO continues to bear fruit.
Let’s look at the official press release from DC Comics:
HBO Max has ordered a three-part DC documentary series from Academy Award® and Emmy® nominated director, producer and showrunner Leslie Iwerks.
Produced by Warner Bros. Unscripted Television in association with Warner Horizon, DC, Berlanti Productions and Iwerks & Co., the documentary series takes an unprecedented look at the enduring and influential legacy of DC, allowing fans to rediscover the universe of characters, as well as the iconic comic book company’s origins, its evolution and its nearly nine-decade cultural impact across every artistic medium.
- Jim Lee, Publisher and Chief Creative Officer, DC quote: “DC has a rich legacy of over 80 years of iconic storytelling: from the introduction of the genre defining Super Hero Superman in 1938 to the amazing movies, TV shows, cartoons, games and comics which have been synonymous with superheroism for generations thereafter. We are so excited to dive into this history and bring fans along this amazing journey.”
- Leslie Iwerks, executive producer and co-director quote: “The DC Universe is vast, rich and incredibly cool, and we’re looking forward to bringing the untold stories of the characters, artists and storytellers to life in a fresh new way.”
- Jennifer O’Connell, executive vice president, Non-Fiction and Live-Action Family, HBO Max quote: “DC has created some of the most meaningful, culturally significant comic book characters that have defined a generation and truly impacted people’s lives. We are thrilled to take fans behind-the-scenes and give them a never-before-seen look into the company and creators behind this iconic universe.”
- Mike Darnell, President, Warner Bros. Unscripted Television quote: “We hope to do these iconic heroes justice by joining forces with HBO Max as we dive deep into the DC Universe’s super powerful, rich history and create the definitive behind-the-scenes documentary.”
- Mark Catalena, co-executive producer and co-director quote: “The geeks have inherited the earth. By revealing the personal inspirations from those who have crafted this expansive universe, we hope viewers will understand why this modern mythology matters so much to people.”
The documentary series is executive produced by Leslie Iwerks, Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and David Madden, with co-executive-producers Mark Catalena, Rachael Jerahian, and Jonathan Gabay. The series will be co-directed by Iwerks and Catalena.
A dream to explore
That’s quite the all-star line-up of movie-making talent, and no doubt expectations for the series will run high among comic fans and pop culture buffs everywhere. It might not be quite the same thing as a Ken Burns 14-parter on PBS, but the fact that the legend of DC Comics will soon be shared with all the world is news worth documenting.
Images and press release courtesy of DC Entertainment