DC comics has announced that they will be releasing a “Second wave” of new 52 comics, adding six new stories, and ruining the rhyme and the ability for DC to call it the “New 52”. Or so you would think; the six comics are actually replacements for: Hawk and Dove, Static Shock, OMAC, Blackhawks, Mister Terrific, and Men of War, thus allowing DC to continue using the “New 52” phrase. The six comics are as follows:
In with the new and out with the old
1) BATMAN INCORPORATED – Writer: Grant Morrison. Artist: Chris Burnham; In this comic, Batman essentially becomes the McDonald’s of the superhero world, by franchising Batman all over the world, in preparation for a world wide threat.
2) EARTH 2 – Writer: James Robinson. Artist: Nicola Scott; This comic features the greatest heroes from one of the many parallel universes in the DC universe.
3) WORLDS’ FINEST – Writer: Paul Levitz. Artists: George Perez and Kevin Maguire; Huntress and Power Girl from Earth 2 are stuck in our universe, and are trying to get back.
4) DIAL H – Writer: China Miéville. Artist: Mateus Santoluoco; This comic explores the psychological effect on a normal person who gains super powers/becomes a hero.
5) G.I. COMBAT – Writer: J.T. Krul. Artist: Ariel Olivetti; This comic is a revival of an old DC classic “The War that Time Forgot”, and will feature other comics, “The Unknown Soldier” and “The Haunted Tank”.
6) THE RAVAGERS – Writer: Howard Mackie. Artist: Ian Churchill; This comic is a spin off of Teen Titans and Superboy, and features four super teens on the run from an organization that wants to turn them into villains.
The six comics being replaced will finish up with their eighth issues in April. To quote Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief on the six new comics;
“Many of the characters from our canceled books will appear in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 titles, and in some very surprising ways. We’re developing stories that reach from cultures around the globe to parallel worlds. We’re just getting started.
And the plot thickens….